Vulnerable Bursary

The Vulnerable Bursary is a grant of up to £1,200 for students who may have difficulties in completing their course because of financial considerations.

To be eligible for financial assistance from the Vulnerable Bursary you must be an enrolled student as defined by the College. Please ensure you have downloaded, saved and understood the 2023-24 Declaration for Financial Assistance before applying. 


Financial Assistance Declaration 2023-24.pdf


The defined vulnerable groups are students who are: 

  • in care 
  • care leavers 
  • receiving Income Support, or Universal Credit because they are financially supporting themselves or financially supporting themselves and someone who is dependent on them and living with them such as a child or partner 
  • receiving Disability Living Allowance or Personal Independence Payments in their own right as well as Employment and Support Allowance or Universal Credit in their own right 


The 16 to 19 Bursary Fund defines ‘in care’ as children looked after by a local authority on a voluntary basis (section 20 of the Children Act 1989) or under a care order (section 31 of the Children Act 1989). Section 22 of the Children Act 1989 defines the term ‘looked after child’.

A ‘care leaver’ is defined as:

  1. a young person aged 16 and 17 who was previously looked after for a period of 13 weeks consecutively (or periods amounting to 13 weeks), which began after the age of 14 and ended after the age of 16; or
  2. a young person aged 18 or above who was looked after prior to becoming 18 for a period of 13 weeks consecutively (or periods amounting to 13 weeks), which began after the age of 14 and ended after the age of 16


Each application will be individually assessed. Students who meet the criteria for the Vulnerable Bursary will not automatically be entitled to the whole £1,200 grant if they do not have financial needs and/or their financial needs are covered from other sources. Support will be offered towards travel passes and course costs/materials. Payments will not be paid to assist with living costs. 

If a student who has received financial assistance leaves before the completion of their course, they will be required to repay all or part of their grant. 


You will be required to download and save documents as PDFs or photocopy/scan letters and email the evidence as PDF documents. Please visit the Bursary Fund page for assistance on scanning evidence. 

  • If you are in care or a care leaver - the Local Authority or your Social Worker will be able to provide you with an official letter to confirm this.  
  • If you are receiving Income Support or Universal Credit (UC), a recent letter from the department of Work and Pensions (DWP) is required to confirm that you are entitled to the benefit(s) in your own right. Documents must not state any conditions that prevent you from participating in further education or training. For student's in receipt of Universal Credit please also provide additional evidence in the form of either; a tenancy agreement in your own name, a child benefit receipt, a child's birth certificate or a recent utility bill. UC claimants should download/print off details of their award from their online account accompanied by x3 most recent monthly statements. 
  • If you are in receipt of either Personal Independent Payment (PIP) or Employment Support Allowance (ESA)/Universal Credit (UC) AND Disability Living Allowance (DLA). Recent letters from the department of Work and Pensions (DWP) is required to confirm the benefits you receive.  

Benefits must be paid to you directly not to your parents/carers. 


  1. Email with your supporting evidence and request an online application for the Vulnerable Bursary.
  2. Complete the online application form.
  3. Once both evidence and online application form has been received, you will be emailed with further information. Please check your email's spam/clutter folder.