Girls' Elite Rugby Programme
UPCOMING TRIALS: 13TH OF FEBRUARY 2024
Please click here to sign up for the next Girls' Elite Rugby Programme trials.
Elite Rugby Programme Brochure 2022
From September 2021 we have successfully launched our Girls' Elite Rugby Programme, which will be open to girls playing at County level, or at centre of excellence groups in year 11 who want to progress on to England Under 18s, Under 20s and beyond.
The programme will provide girls in years 12 and 13 the same opportunities as our Boys' Elite Rugby Programme, with focus on performance coaching, Strengthening, Conditioning, Medical Support and Video Analysis.
After studying the Girls' Elite Rugby Programme, there is the potential to move on to the Ealing Trailfinder’s Academy Programme at Brunel University where scholarships are available for the most talented students, or further opportunities including transitioning to the Henley Hawks Women’s team who play at championship level.
To allow the College and Ealing Trailfinders to recruit the best female rugby players from across the country, we are delighted to be able to offer Scholarship funds. Please see below for more details.
Whilst the rugby programme requires a high level of commitment, the academic programme comes first. Students are encouraged to stay on top of their studies, with the rugby staff providing pastoral support in helping the students to manage their time effectively. The College has a diverse academic offer to suit the needs of the student, including 32 different A Levels and a wide range of BTEC and vocational courses.
Overall, there was a 97% A Level pass rate in 2019, with 21 subjects achieving a 100% pass rate. Many of our A Level rugby students study Physical Education, with 55% of students on this course achieving A*-B in 2019.
The Henley College now offers an articulated pathway to Brunel University, where you can apply for a full-time rugby scholarship programme in partnership with the Trailfinders Academy. Other recent destinations for our rugby students include Bath, Loughborough, Nottingham Trent, Swansea and Exeter.
We have worked hard to develop the perfect all-round performance package to take your rugby to the next level. The level of support offered at The Henley College is designed to mirror a professional rugby club environment. Being on the programme, you will have regular access to a range of professional services created to develop and improve you as an all-round player. The rugby programme is integrated into students’ timetables. There are 8 direct hours, plus Wednesday match days, designated to rugby throughout the week. This includes:
- Performance Coaching – we provide technical and tactical coaching through training, playing, video analysis and one-to-one individual reviews with players.
- Strength & Conditioning – we provide a structured programme to individuals in order to help maximise their physical development and prepare them for the physical demands of the game.
- Physiotherapy – we provide support through prehab, rehab and treatment programmes on an individual basis, to maximise playing opportunities.
- Video analysis – we provide face to face and online video analysis support through our Coach Logic software that supports player learning away from the field of play.
- Sports Psychology – we have access to sport psychologists who can help players cope better with not only the demands of their sport but also in managing their busy lives.
- Sports Nutrition – we provide guidance, workshops and have access to specialists who can help educate players around nutrition for performance.
- Lifestyle and Pastoral Support – we provide the necessary support for players to be able to balance their sporting and academic commitments.
Places on the programme will be offered based on prior experience, your rugby CV and performance in trials. Academically, applicants to Henley College will be required to meet certain criteria depending on the course you are applying for. If you have not achieved these prerequisites, there may be other options available to you. Our squad compete at a very high level and applicants are expected to be capable of playing to at least County Standard. The Group is comprised of the top 30 players within the College's Elite Sports sector.
Thanks to The Mike Gooley Trailfinders Charity, bursaries are available for talented and aspirational female rugby players aged 16-19.
The bursaries will support such things as accommodation local to The Henley College, and may also assist with other living costs such as academic resources, rugby kit and travel.
“We are delighted to announce the opening of a bursary fund for girls entering our Under-18s girls rugby programme. The fund has been made available by the Ealing Trailfinders, the Henley College’s rugby partner. Talented female rugby players aged 16-19 can now access the funding they need to pursue their education at The Henley College, and take part in rugby player development through the Henley College’s Girls Rugby Programme. The programme is delivered with Trailfinders Academy and offers girls a pathway to higher education and elite sport. Exciting times for rugby players at The Henley College.” - Eamonn Egan, Vice Principal Curriculum & Quality at The Henley College.
To find out more and apply please email Josh Barlow at JBAR@henleycol.ac.uk
THE NEXT STEP
If you would like more information regarding the programme, please email Josh Barlow via JBAR@henleycol.ac.uk