Resources and Tips for Isolation
Due to the current closure of the college, we have put together a list of resources that may benefit both current and prospective students who are currently remote learning.
There is a range of different resources from tips and guides, subject specific content or just some general activities to assist your daily wellbeing.
Virtual tours, and live webcams
- University tours - Here's a list of virtual tours and videos from universities and colleges, so you can see what it's like on campus and what facilities are available.
- NASA Live: - Watch the earth from space
- Explore the surface of Mars
- Fly over Italy's Cinque Terre Coast by Drone
- Arctic Travel Experts created 'virtual lights over Lapland' tour.
- Explore Venice- through multiple webcams
- Future Learn- Explore the architecture and history of Rome, walking around a 3D digital model of the ancient city, with this free online course.
- Random street view for a bit of entertainment. Highlights truly ho wonderful and diverse this planet is!
- Explore a Roman fort
- A full 360 online tour of the Favelas
Museums and Galleries
- Museums from around the world - Virtual, online tours
- Access to 500 Museums & Art Galleries - Free, online
- Gorilla Webcam - from the forest corridor
Explore the oceans
- Aquarium – Otters, sea lions, pirana, jellyfish, and many others.
- Introduction to Engineering - YouTube videos
- Open Culture - 1,500 free courses from top Universities
- Open Culture - learn 48 different languages online - FREE
- Future Learn - Free, online courses including languages, health, coding, wellbeing, creative arts, etc.
Digital Skills Toolkit - Department of Education
- BBC languages - Learn languages online free
- FrenchTeacher.Net - Free French study packs
- Sociology courses - Free online study
- Creative courses - Free online study
- Cambridge University Press - ALL 700 textbooks are currently available FREE in HTML format
- CK-12 Foundation - Sharing commonly taught Maths and Science lessons from this time of year
- Accounting resources - AQA recommended A level Accounting resources online
- Business resources - Business resources online
- Free animation courses from Pixar, recommended by our Creative Media partner, SAE Institute
- Blocky games - Games to help beginners learn computer programming skills
- Scratch - Beginners computer programming games/projects
- Virtual Cyber School - Gain access to over 200 free cyber security challenges and learn from industry experts at the Virtual Cyber School
- The Skills Toolkit - The government have launched ‘The Skills Toolkit’. A resource full of free digital and numeracy courses created to enhance your skills
- KnowitallNinja - IT teacher, Dan Richardson created this site for his students to help them revise and prepare for BTEC Level 2 and 3 Information Technology.
Geography, nature and history
- Tutorful - Top Geography websites, YouTube videos, and resources
- Project Noah – Global site where you can view and share wildlife
- Seterra - Free world geography, online quizzes
- Online film festival - Resistance in the Rainforest
- Kent Wildlife association - Simple ideas you can do in the garden to help wildlife
- World games - Geography games
- Wild Science - Podcast
- Historical association - Learn about 20th Century history
Arts and culture
- Parlia - The encyclopedia of opinion - mapping the worlds thinking
- Andrew Lloyd Webber's musicals - streaming free online
- J P Brewer - View classic paintings online
- Google Arts and culture - Learn something new every day!
- British Museum - Free videos
- BBC Radio 4 - The History of the world - podcasts
- 50 things that made modern economy - Podcasts
- Marquee TV - streaming arts and culture
- Teaching history - 100 objects from museums across the UK with resources, information and teaching ideas to inspire your students’ interest in history
- Stream Shakespeare plays recorded at The Globe Theatre
- Kindle Unlimited - 2 months free access
- Gutenburg - Download free books, e.g. Shakespear, Edgar Allen Poe, Frankenstein, etc.
- Solomon Kingsnorth - Books in PDF, Word and audiobook format - Alice in Wonderland / Wind in the Willows / The Railway Children / The Jungle Book / Peter Pan / Black Beauty
- Read great literature online - Free Ebooks, poetry, classic literature
- Read Free Literature - also includes study guides
- Open Library Access - Free
- Audible - Free for this period
Learn a new skill
- Learn to play the piano - Free Apple App
- Free, 3 months lessons online - Guitar, Fender, Base, Ukulele
- How to grow food at home from food scraps - DIY and crafts
- Improve your memory - Click the link and scroll down for a few free videos in this series
- Learn to touch-type - Free access
- Get creative with Digital Making at Home - New videos each week for 3 levels of experience
Miscellaneous & entertainment
- Great British Singalong - Radio stations unite
- Daily Kitchen Live - From the makers of the Saturday Kitchen show
- BBC Sport - Shares the greatest sporting moments
- A Question of Sport - on BBC Radio 5 live
- Football on the BBC - updated regularly
- Radio 4 - Comedy podcast, 'Now Wash Your Hands' featuring guest comedians
- Free colouring/relaxation images - To download and print
- Free Photography Challenge - YouTube
- Jamie Oliver - helps the nation with easy recipes, cooking tips, and ingenious hacks whilst many of us are staying at home. Jamie: Keep Cooking and Carry On starts Monday at 5:30pm on Channel 4
- Fun, accessible, activity and game Apps for people with disabilities
- For those who want to stay active and manage their wellbeing, Joe Wicks is running live PE sessions everyday at 9:00am
- WeMeditate - Live streamed, guided meditation sessions
- Learn4MentalHealth - How to stay calm
- 10 minute mind - Free trial - mindfulness
- Tips for coping at home - Professor Susan Young
- How to reduce high anxiety now: Thinking about past pleasant memories may help some people with immediate stress (article)
- WHO - guidance to support mental health during this time
- Self-Help Resources for those with mental health conditions
- Procurement Office, Elitsa Apostolova, has created a deep meditation audio aimed to calm the mind and boost the immune system
If you have any resources you would like to suggest, then please do get in touch with us via email@example.com.
Applications for The Henley College for Autumn 2020 - you can apply online here.