Residential Support Scheme (RSS)

Through the Residential Support Scheme (RSS), you may be able to get help with the cost of term-time accommodation if you’re studying a further education course that’s far from your home.

How much you get depends on your household income.

NB The Henley College cannot confirm to any student whether they are eligible for RSS, or make any RSS payments, until all the eligibility checks have been completed and verified from the Education and Skills Funding Agency (ESFA).


You must:

You may be eligible if you’re 19 and either:

Your course must:

Your course must also be more than either 15 miles or a 2 hour round trip from your home, and not available any closer than that.


What you’ll get

The table shows the maximum you can get each year. The actual amount you can get depends on your accommodation costs.

Gross household income Studying outside London
Up to £21,000 Up to £3,458
£21,001 to £25,704 Up to £2,305
£25,705 to £30,993 Up to £1,152
£30,994 or more

No award

You can get payments for a maximum of 3 years.



You will be required to provide photocopies of the below documentation.

Evidence must be photocopied/scanned and must be saved as a PDF (images e.g. jpegs CANNOT be accepted. The PDFs must only have the document saved, with all of the page clearly shown. There cannot be any background imagery visible). Please make sure that the evidence you submit clearly identifies the household income as the ESFA will reject applications without sufficient documentation to support the claim.

Please see here for assistance with scanning.


1. Proof of household income:

We require evidence in the form of ONE of the below options to confirm household income. 

2. Tenancy agreement:

We can accept a copy of the student’s tenancy agreement. The tenancy agreement must have been agreed and signed by the student. It must include the following information:

3. Proof of rental payments for claims that are made after the start of your course(s):

RSS payments will be paid into the Landlord's bank account. However, if rental payments have been paid before The Henley College has completed the assessment of the student's RSS application, reimbursements can be paid to the student, as long as the rental period the student has paid for is within the agreed period of the RSS award. 

Please provide bank statements and highlight the rental payments. 


How to claim

Contact for an application form and help with applying.

ESF logo
National Centre for Diversity Top  100 2016
ESFA logo