Gifted and Talented
The College can offer you a programme which is designed for Gifted students whose academic aspirations include applying to top universities for highly competitive courses. The programme will stretch and challenge you.
- A programme of carefully chosen A Levels, normally four subjects at AS Level in the first year, from a range of over 40 subjects
- The International Baccalaureate
- the Extended A Level Project (or Extended Essay if IB)
- opportunity to take Advanced Extension/STEP papers in certain subjects
- preparation for applications to top universities, including Oxford and Cambridge, by an experienced Oxbridge tutor and mock interviews with the Principalship
- preparation for a variety of admissions tests eg LNAT for Law, BMAT for medicine, UKCAT etc
- extra one-to-one tutorials with a member of the Principalship (if possible)
- talks by inspirational speakers
- encouragement to take part in off-site intensive and enrichment learning, eg Eton Summer School and Villiers Park, as well as opportunities for work placements for medical and veterinary applicants and other university taster courses (some costs will apply).
Entry to the Gifted Academy is by point score of 58 points from 8 subjects, a strong school reference and interview.
"The College's programme for Gifted and Talented students is successful in motivating more able students."
There are opportunities for the Talented sports students to work on the psychology of their performance by undertaking mental skills training. Key areas addressed include developing self-awareness, strategies for getting into the optimum zone for peak performance, visualisation and mental rehearsal techniques, combating limiting beliefs, goal setting, maintaining a positive mental attitude, state management and confidence building. These students are also able to participate in the broad Sports Development Programme.
Talented arts, music and drama students also have opportunities to showcase their talents.
Potential members of the Academy should indicate their interest on application.
"The College's Gifted & Talented Programme attracts a significant number of high-calibre sports students."